Haven't we all at some point in time fantasized about stepping through a cinema/TV screen and into the world of our favourite movies and television shows? I certainly have!

With its modern, urban setting and stunning harbour, it is easy to see why Sydney leads the way as an ideal and versatile shooting destination. Movies shot here have been set in New York (Godzilla: Final Wars, Kangaroo Jack), Chicago (The Matrix and sequels), London (Birthday Girl), Seville (Mission Impossible 2), Bombay (Holy Smoke), Darwin (Australia), Myanmar (Stealth), Mars (Red Planet) and the fictitious city of Metropolis (Superman Returns, Babe: Pig in the City).

Whether popular landmarks or off the beaten track locations that are often hard to find, you can now explore Sydney in a fun and unique way with the SYDNEY ON SCREEN walking guides. Catering to Sydneysiders as much as visitors, the guides have something to offer everyone, from history, architecture and movie buffs to nature lovers.

See where productions such as Superman Returns, The Matrix and sequels, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Candy, Mission Impossible 2, Mao's Last Dancer, Babe: Pig in the City, Kangaroo Jack, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Muriel's Wedding, The Bold and the Beautiful, Oprah's Ultimate Australian Adventure and many more were filmed.

Maps and up-to-date information on Sydney's attractions are provided to help you plan your walk. Pick and choose from the suggested itinerary to see as little or as much of the city as you like.

So, come and discover the landscapes and locations that draw filmmakers to magical Sydney, and walk in the footsteps of the stars!

A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO EXPENSIVE TOURS, YOU CAN NOW ENJOY EXPLORING SYDNEY FOR UNDER $10 WITH THE SYDNEY ON SCREEN WALKING GUIDES. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT US AT SYDNEYONSCREEN@HOTMAIL.COM

Subscribe to the blog and keep up with all the latest Aussie film and entertainment news. Read about what the stars are up to, who's in town, what movies are currently filming or being promoted. Locate us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sydneyonscreen and "like" our page!

Sydney on Screen walking guides now on sale!

Click on the picture above to see a preview of all four walking guides and on the picture below to see larger stills of Sydney movie and television locations featured in the slideshow!

Copyright © 2011 by Luke Brighty / Unless otherwise specified, all photographs on this blog copyright © 2011 by Luke Brighty


Sydney on Screen guides are now available for purchase at the following outlets:

Travel Concierge, Sydney International Airport, Terminal 1 Arrivals Hall (between gates A/B and C/D), Mascot - Ph: 1300 40 20 60

The Museum of Sydney shop, corner of Bridge & Phillip Streets, Sydney - Ph: (02) 9251 4678

The Justice & Police Museum shop, corner of Albert & Phillip Streets, Sydney - Ph: (02) 9252 1144

The Mint shop, 10 Macquarie Street, Sydney - Ph: (02) 8239 2416

Hyde Park Barracks shop, Queen Square, Sydney - Ph: (02) 8239 2311

Travel Up! (travel counter) c/o Wake Up Sydney Central, 509 Pitt Street, Sydney - Ph (02) 9288 7888

The Shangri-La Hotel (concierge desk), 176 Cumberland Street, The Rocks, Sydney - Ph: (02) 9250 6018

The Sebel Pier One (concierge desk), 11 Hickson Road, Walsh Bay, Sydney - Ph: (02) 8298 9901

The Radisson Plaza Hotel Sydney (concierge desk), 27 O'Connell Street, Sydney - Ph: (02) 8214 0000

The Sydney Marriott Circular Quay (concierge desk), 30 Pitt Street, Sydney - Ph: (02) 9259 7000

Boobook on Owen, 1/68 Owen Street, Huskisson - Ph: (02) 4441 8585


NSW, interstate and international customers can order copies of Sydney on Screen using PayPal. Contact us at sydneyonscreen@hotmail.com to inquire about cost and shipping fees.


All four volumes of Sydney on Screen are available to download onto your PC or Kindle at:
Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.es and Amazon.it


The family guy shows real steel

Great story about Aussie Hugh Jackman by Neala Johnson

HUGH Jackman is rightly known as the nicest bloke in show business. But his kids, well, they're the gatekeepers from hell.

With his wife Deborra-Lee Furness, Jackman had formulated a plan whereby, if a fan asked for a picture while he was out with his children Oscar and Ava, Jackman could shut it down but keep it nice.

"Deb and I came up with this thing where I'd say, 'Look, I'm with my family, I'd prefer not to right now, but nice to meet you' - showing the kids that I can still be polite, but I wanted them to get the message that they were my priority.

"But after about a year and half, Oscar said to me, 'Dad, why can't you just be nice? All they want is a photo. I mean, really'. I said, 'Are you OK with that?' He said, 'Yeah, today I am'. I said, 'OK, so from now on I'll ask you'.

"They really love that power," Jackman laughs, "so I just leave it up to them. My son usually, particularly if it's a young girl, will like it. But my daughter's quite often like, 'No!' And I can see she's just loving having the power."

Of course, this leaves Jackman looking like the good guy, as in: "My, that Hugh Jackman is a nice bloke ... "

"But his kids!" Jackman hollers, falling into laughter.

The Sydney-raised actor, who turns 43 this month, seems happy to let his kids do the dirty work. If he's got a reputation as being nice, that's just because he's "ultimately not that different from a lot of people that interview me".

But he knows that nice is not necessarily cool or helpful as far as an actor's career.

"For actors, the word 'nice' is something to be wary of. It sounds pretty tepid and a little bit uninteresting, and that may be the case! Maybe journalists go back and go, 'How am I going to describe him? Quixotic, no. Enigmatic, not really. I suppose, nice!' The lowest common denominator."

Some people play on that fact - the character Doctor Cox in TV sitcom Scrubs always sounded off about his intense hatred for Jackman.
Jackman, as you'd expect, is not at all miffed.

"No! I think it's hilarious! I don't blame 'em," he says.

"Someone forwarded me that link where he does the long monologue of all the things he hates: ' ... and Hugh Jackman!' But my son came home to me and said, 'Do you know this show Scrubs?' I said, 'Yeah, I've heard of it'. 'Well, you've gotta say something to them 'cos I'm so mad!' He actually had a tear in his eye - he really couldn't distinguish why this person was so mean to me.

"I was secretly quite touched that he was being all defensive for me. It was kind of making me laugh. I should sooo have done a cameo on that show."

If he does have any nasty inside him, Jackman gets it out on film. Wolverine is famously gruff and in his new film, the family-friendly action flick Real Steel, Jackman's character is often quite unlikeable.

That was a big part of the appeal in what initially seemed like quite a silly idea for a film: washed-up boxer trains, erm, robot boxer to fight.

"I didn't hold out high hopes when I was reading the script," Jackman admits.

"Look, Steven Spielberg was attached and I knew there was going to be something there, but my gut feeling was, 'Hmmmm'.

"But at the front end of scripts they go into quite a lot of detail to explain to non-imaginative readers what characters are like, and reading that I was already like, 'This is interesting ... it's a DreamWorks movie, distributed by Disney, it's a father-son story and I'm trying to sell my son in the first 10 minutes. OK, this is not what I was expecting!'

"My wife saw it the other night, she elbowed me and goes, 'You made me cry in a robot movie'. It's good to be exceeding people's expectations, 'cos let's face it, it doesn't happen very often in the land of hype."

Making robot movies fly when they really shouldn't is the least of Jackman's endless talents.

After promoting the film in Australia last week, he headed back to New York to debut his one-man show on Broadway. In the new year he will take the singing and dancing to the UK - where he will join Russell Crowe and The King's Speech director Tom Hooper in making a movie version of famed musical Les Miserables.

After that, it will be time to bulk up and don the mutton-chops again for another turn as everybody's favourite super-mutant, Wolverine.

Few actors can get away with that kind of diversity without being ridiculed or damned to low-budget indie-ville.

"Well, I don't think Wolverine ever would have happened unless it was the first thing I did," Jackman muses.

"I would say 70 per cent of people on the planet know me for that only. I can't imagine if you became big as Peter Allen that you were gonna get cast as Wolverine next. So the order of things helped.

"But as you know here (in Australia), there is no luxury of being a movie star. We don't really have a star system, there is no living to be made in film, and you really need to be able to do other things. When you graduate from drama school, you just go for everything. That's why I went for a musical.

"And by the way, I snuck into that musical - it's funny how it's been remembered differently, but I was, I think, the only actor in history in a professional musical to have it in his contract that he must have singing lessons once a week," he laughs.

Jackman's musical side is especially advantageous these days, with the movie musical back in vogue. On that front, Les Miserables is his dream project - in fact, production on The Wolverine was shunted back to make room for it.

"I chased that thing," he says, furrowing his brow.

"I was offered the part in Chicago 10 years ago - I was 31 and I thought at the time, 'I'm just too young, I wanna play Billy Flynn, but how can I say, I've seen it all, kid - it's my second movie!'

"Then I saw the movie and I was like, 'I so should have put some make-up on'. It was so great, my palms were sweating and I was like, 'Oh my God, please don't let that be the only one I'm offered'. So when this one came up, I really chased it.

"Musicals have been around, but I s'pose this one really excites me with Tom and Russell and, of course, it's Les Mis, it's one of the greatest musicals of all time."

After doing some reading of Victor Hugo's original Les Miserables novel, he reckons the leap from playing Jean Valjean in the musical back to being Wolverine will be easy.

"They talk about his qualities, all the animalistic ... that could have been Wolverine! It's just Wolverine doesn't sing ... "

In between jobs, Jackman will continue to ensure Oscar, 11, and Ava, 6, know they're his No. 1 priority - even when the celebrity spotlight is shining its brightest.

"I try and remind them what I remind myself of - life is full of weird and wonderful, crazy, sometimes annoying experiences, that's part of the deal here," he says.

The things that really matter stay forever, so they're the things to focus on. The other things, even times when you feel down, they pass, you know. The things that matter are love and family and friendship.

"Those photographers are here today because they're interested in my movie, but there'll come a time when they're not and that's OK.

"I'm always your dad, we're always together, sometimes it can be frustrating, but that's what matters.

"It's the best way I've come up with yet."

No comments:

Post a Comment